Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A lazy day...starting out with old fashioned biscuits and gravy (Gluten Free!)

I've had to go Gluten Free...ugh.  I never thought I would have to but here I am after 3 years of stomach aches and false diagnosis (but better than a failing liver!) here I am learning to cook all over again.

My husband's family is from the South so it goes without saying that I had to learn to make biscuits and gravy.  The first time I made them for my mother in law I made an impression.  She was shocked that I made them so well.  I didn't have the heart to tell her I used Bisquick, she wasn't a warm fuzzy woman and it was her first compliment for me.

So here's the recipe I tried today...not bad.  My version of Alton Brown's recipe with the ingredients I had.  My family loved them although my husband said it's not quite what he grew up with.  I don't think it's possible to truly replace the wheat floury goodness of a Southern biscuit.  But these were pretty darn good with the gravy and a little fried apple!

Gluten Free biscuits

1 cup GF Flour (just got what was available at WalMart)
4 heaping teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 tablespoons butter (frozen and grated into the dry ingredients...my secret easy way)
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Add the butter and mix with a fork  evenly, don't overwork.

Add the buttermilk until you have a slightly sticky dough (add a little more or less as needed).

Pat flat on a lightly GF floured board and cut with a biscuit cutter.  Gather the last bit and shape to size.

Bake on a baking stone or parchment lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes.  Rotate pan and bake for 5 more minutes or until golden brown and fluffy.



Until I make gravy with exact measurements here are some quick instructions in an experienced guess sort of way.

I had some leftover gluten free flour on a plate with salt and pepper from flouring the pork chops.  I put in the pan with the drippings from the pork chops.  Bacon or sausage grease will work as well.  I added a little butter and slowly lightly browned the flour.  Then I grated some leftover sausage links (about 3 or 4) into the mixture and then some milk tip it was like a cream soup.  Continue to cook it on medium low heat.  Gluten Free flour gravy wants to be lumpy so I figured out the only way to make it smooth is to use an immersion blender.  So as it thickened up a little I blend through the pan breaking up the lumps and then it's done!  Be careful with the salt, you don't need as much as usual.

MMMMMM!  Pretty good for a Latin California girl!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Virginia Smith

    I just visit your site and found that you are growing your blog roll, Would you like consider my blog? Yzenith China Information

    I will add your site to https://yzenith.com/proud-partners/

    If you are interested, please let me know which anchor text you want to use

    Cheers,
    Yan

    ReplyDelete