Caprese is a traditional Italian salad which makes good use of the homegrown, vine ripe summer tomatoes. Caprese salad can be served as an appetizer or a light lunch.
Serve insalata caprese with crusty, fresh Italian ciabatta or French baguette. The juices from the vine ripened tomatoes mix with the olive oil, fresh garlic and salt, to create a wonderful dressing, which can be sopped up with the bread, mmmmmmm!
Use Quality Ingredients!
Be sure to use fresh mozzarella in this recipe, which comes packaged in water! No substitutions!
Also a good quality olive oil is a must, I have been buying Trader Joe's Extra Virgin California Estate Olive Oil, it is beautifully fruity with a peppery finish, perfect for a salad.
Caprese Salad Ingredients
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes - sliced (you can mix yellow and red, heirloom tomatoes are also nice)
- Approximately 1 pound fresh mozzarella - sliced
- Fresh basil leaves (Buy one of those inexpensive plants being carried in the markets nowadays)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 1 clove garlic (pressed or finely minced)
- French baguette or Italian ciabatta bread
Caprese Salad Directions
- Wash and slice the tomatoes into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Open up the package of fresh mozzarella, and drain off the water.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Alternate layers of tomatoes, cheese on a large serving platter.
- Using your fingers, evenly spread garlic bits all over tomatoes and cheese.
- Use whole leaves of basil and arrange around, between tomatoes and cheese as you please or tear the leaves into pieces and sprinkle on top.
- Sprinkle the appetizer salad with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with a basket of french or italian bread and a bottle of nice red wine.