Friday, February 27, 2009

Just a yummy snack!


Sweet Potato Chips & Dip














Sweet potato chips are just a yummy alternative to potato chips for snacking and offer a little more nutrition, but let's face it...this is a just a snack. I happened to have a lot of sweet potato's on hand and I thought I would try something new. I was also having a large group of about 20 over for lunch and while I was finishing off the meal, I wanted to offer a fun snack type appetizer. It was a big hit and they were finished off in quick order. Here's the recipe.

Safflower oil* for frying
sweet potatoes about 1 for every 2 people
kosher salt
your choice of seasonings, if you like - paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper

Slice the sweet potatoes nice and thin, I use an inexpensive mandolin from Target to slice them. Heat the oil up in a wok, yes a wok. It is a great pan to fry these up quickly in small batches and they come out evenly. When the oil is hot enough for a slice of sweet potato to sizzle and bubble but not smoke, gently drop in one or two handfuls of slices at a time. Use a slotted spoon and quickly stir them around so they cook evenly. When they are just lightly brown, take them out and put them in a large pan with paper towels to drain. Season them while they are hot tossing with each new batch to keep them warm. Keep frying until you are done.

Serve them with the dip you made the ahead of time, although they are good all by themselves!

*I use safflower oil for frying, it gets nice and hot as well as being a healthy oil.


Sour cream dip with bacon and green onion

2 cups good sour cream (1 16 oz container)
8 slices of cooked bacon, finely minced
6 green onions, finely minced
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Blend together and garnish with a little of the minced green onion. Let the dip sit in the refrigerator at least a couple of hours (preferably overnight) to marry the flavors. Serve with the sweet potato chips.

The same method for the sweet potato chips is great for potato chips. Try red potato slices fried in regular virgin olive oil. They make such a nice addition for a good homemade burger.

It's hard work learning to measure and taking pictures so I can post my recipes. I have been entertaining friends often and also testing recipes to cater a wedding in March. I will be posting those soon. I even had a couple friends come over and teach me one of their family recipes for the blog. When I get the photos from them, I will post that recipe for "Rouladen".
Send me your recipes or come over and we'll make them together!
Email me at vintagerecipesmith@yahoo.com.



3 comments:

  1. I know you can bake them too, I'm just too impatient to wait 1 1/2 hours for a snack.

    I've enjoyed your flickr photos of food. I have a of healthy, delicious recipes created for friends on special diets. I will be posting these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, gotta try to make some...yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete