Friday, January 9, 2009

Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding


This recipe is one that I get asked for all the time. I have a lot of things I make that people "must have the recipe" for, so I decided to create a blog for those recipes. The hard part is creating the measurements since many of my dishes were created on the fly.
This is one of those things. I had a dinner party with piles of leftover croissants because everyone was cutting down on carbs and fat. This dessert is my revenge. WARNING! It has lots of carbs and fat and calories....but it is sooo delicious.

Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding
6 large croissants
6 eggs
2 cups cream
1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cut the croissants into cubes and throw them into a lightly buttered large baking dish. Beat the eggs, cream, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in the microwave (about 30 seconds) then carefully stir in the chocolate til its just about melted. Chocolate doesn't like to be too hot or it seizes up on you and you
have to start over. You can stick this back in the
microwave for 10 seconds at a time if the chocolate doesn't melt right away. Stir the chocolate slowly into the set aside eggs, cream, milk, vanilla and then pour over the croissants. Toss the croissants around so they can evenly absorb the chocolate-y custard-y goodness.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes til a fork comes out clean (without any uncooked egg bits). Let cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve warm with whipped cream and warm chocolate sauce.


Chocolate Sauce
1 stick butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cream

Melt butter in the microwave and add semisweet chocolate chips til just about melted. Add cream and microwave 15 seconds more til warm and pourable.

This chocolate sauce is also delicious on pancakes. (I really impressed kids at sleepovers because they could eat dessert for breakfast at my house. They are in their 20's now and still want this for breakfast when they visit.) I would show you a picture of the finished presentation, but no one at this dinner party wanted to delay eating their dessert!

Coming soon!
Recipes for my famous crab/avocado/red pepper/spring greens salad, potato enchiladas, Mom's mexican rice and pork with chili. Yum, Yum.

Send me your recipes everyone is asking for and I will make you famous among friends.
Email me at vintagedesignsmith@mac.com







1 comment:

  1. niceblog! rashard from flickr

    ReplyDelete